The student news site of Eastside High School

Flying With The Flock

Sex Ed in the Public Eye (September)

Abbie Queen, Copy Editor

Sex education is taught in school that sex is bad, and we should not do it. Sex education should be taught more effectively in public schools.  Teachers never taught the emotional and physical aspects that having sex at an early age can have on the young body. It is easier to just say don’t do it, but it is more effective if it is taught properly. Teenagers should have the opportunity to understand something as complex as sex.

Having sex at a young age can affect the emotional state of a teenager in many ways. Studies have shown that “The animals that mated earlier in life had higher levels of depressive behaviors, changes to the brain and smaller reproductive tissues compared to those that had intercourse later or not at all” (Abbasi, Jennifer,”Teen Sex May Affect Brain Development, Study Suggests.”). Teens should know that having sex at an early age can cause the brain to not develop properly and early childhood depression. Being a teenager is already hard enough so, if teens were taught that having sex could prompt problems in brain development and early childhood depression; teens would be less likely to have sex at an early age. In many Sex Education class, girls are taught to not have sex because it could eventually lead to teenage pregnancy.  Having to take care of a human being at such a young age should be warning enough but, what most of them do not understand is that in young adults  have “less knowledge about child development and effective parenting, and often misjudge their infant or toddler’s ability to adapt and learn” (“How Adolescent Parenting Affects Children, Families, and Communities.”). So, not only will the parents have development problems from having sex at a young age, the infant as well could possible have development problems.

We are generally taught about sexually transmitted diseases and the physical aspect that the disease can have on one’s body but, what they don’t teach young adults is the life long affect some sexually transmitted diseases can have on the process of growing into a young adult. “The younger a person starts having sex, the greater his or her chances of becoming infected with an STD” ( “Teens Health”), many young adults are naive to the fact that even though, they are young they can still get an STD. Amber, a 17 year old, thought that STD were “really uncommon and only people who were really irresponsible about sex got them” ( “Naked Truth”),because she was not taught more effectively, she received an STDs from her boyfriend. This possibly could of been prevented if they were taught more about the effects of STDs. This is a physical aspect that affects someone’s mental and emotional health.

The social aspect of sex has many different meaning to it. Having sex before you are fully developed can cause problems with your friends, parents, and yourself.  Everything you do influence the way that you are viewed. Everyone goes to their friends if they have a question about sex, if teens were taught that they should spread the idea that young adults need to wait, then teenager would be influenced to not have sex. Conflict with your parents can arise because,

The overall aspects of sex should be in the school curriculum. It is important for all generations present and future, to be aware and to know the cons when it comes  to sex before full development.  Teachers need to teach the emotional and physical aspect that having sex at an early age so, teenagers can fully understand the  impacts. If teenagers had a better understanding of the deeper meaning of sex, then teenagers would be better prepared for the effects that come along with sex.